(Roughly starting from when I arrived in Japan around August 3rd)
Since the last update contained half of "Winter" anyway, I'm going to try not to feel bad there were really only two books read in this update...
READ:
Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Fury
Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Silence
The Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero
Northanger Abbey
North and South
Daughter of the Forest
Mistborn: The Final Empire
Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Chaos
The Name of the Wind
Green Rider
READING:
Mistborn: The Well of Ascension
The Wise Man's Fear
Albrecht Durer: A Biography
STALLED:
A Discovery of Witches
DROPPED:
Cold Mountain
PLANNING TO READ:
First Rider's Call
The Third Kingdom
Ready Player One
Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Ruin
Mistborn: The Hero of Ages
(any and all of the eReader books I want to re-read)
Listened to:
The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune
The Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles #1) (suggested by Courtney, Barry, and Ryan)
Gratitude must be given to Courtney, who literally handed me her Kindle open to the prologue and told me to start reading. I was instantly drawn to the storyteller's use of expression: striving for the most accurate and yet still unconventional way of conveying the events and characters to the listener. The premise of this trilogy--a tale told over three nights, one book per night--also adds a heaviness; a weight to the words questioning our perceptions of the storyteller and the nature of "tales".
Gratitude must be given to Courtney, who literally handed me her Kindle open to the prologue and told me to start reading. I was instantly drawn to the storyteller's use of expression: striving for the most accurate and yet still unconventional way of conveying the events and characters to the listener. The premise of this trilogy--a tale told over three nights, one book per night--also adds a heaviness; a weight to the words questioning our perceptions of the storyteller and the nature of "tales".
Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1)
It was kind of an accident that I read this for the third time in two years ^^;; Despite the romantic themes and self-realization of the main character towards the middle and to the end of the novel, it was for its descriptions of academia, and the Bodleian Library at Oxford in the very beginning that drove me to crack this story open again. Maybe it’s something about winter, and the need for spiced teas and comfy sweaters… (I currently only have about 80 pages left, I've just been trying to read the other things loaned to me first...)
Cold Mountain (suggested and received via Sheri)
Probably not the most typical book to take along while traveling to a tropical island during the Christmas and New Year holiday, but to be honest I knew I’d put it off if not for the long stretches of travel and waiting. While I may appreciate the melancholy and poetic somberness in stories that don’t “have a happy ending”, it’s still rather hard for me to push through knowing that there won’t be a satisfying outcome for the characters I grow to cherish. I finally had to give it up (which is the first time I think I've ever given up on a book. Even really badly written ones I usually push through to the end) because it was leaving me so full of despair, and the matter-of-fact deaths were getting to me (being a story set in the Civil War you'd assume there would be some death. But it was actually the death of a bear and her cub that made me throw the book down). It's beautifully written, I can't deny it, but I can't bring myself to finish the last quarter left. (edit June 2015: finished here)
Green Rider (Green Rider Series #1)
The next book in the series is coming out in May! I knew I wanted to re-read the series before starting the new volume, but honestly it was while I was in a petulant fit over Cold Mountain (and that poor bear) that I grabbed this and began reading. I've been in somewhat of a slump this winter, and haven't even been able to read. I could blame my stubbornness in trying to finish Cold Mountain before I read anything else; I could blame Cold Mountain for making me feel so hopeless and apathetic; I could really just blame Cold Mountain. But as soon as I began Green Rider and re-encountered the old friends there, it's like everything was okay again (ha, which will NOT be the case as the series progresses. Nothing is okay, not really, but I'm sort of a masochist...)
It was kind of an accident that I read this for the third time in two years ^^;; Despite the romantic themes and self-realization of the main character towards the middle and to the end of the novel, it was for its descriptions of academia, and the Bodleian Library at Oxford in the very beginning that drove me to crack this story open again. Maybe it’s something about winter, and the need for spiced teas and comfy sweaters… (I currently only have about 80 pages left, I've just been trying to read the other things loaned to me first...)
Cold Mountain (suggested and received via Sheri)
Probably not the most typical book to take along while traveling to a tropical island during the Christmas and New Year holiday, but to be honest I knew I’d put it off if not for the long stretches of travel and waiting. While I may appreciate the melancholy and poetic somberness in stories that don’t “have a happy ending”, it’s still rather hard for me to push through knowing that there won’t be a satisfying outcome for the characters I grow to cherish. I finally had to give it up (which is the first time I think I've ever given up on a book. Even really badly written ones I usually push through to the end) because it was leaving me so full of despair, and the matter-of-fact deaths were getting to me (being a story set in the Civil War you'd assume there would be some death. But it was actually the death of a bear and her cub that made me throw the book down). It's beautifully written, I can't deny it, but I can't bring myself to finish the last quarter left. (edit June 2015: finished here)
Green Rider (Green Rider Series #1)
The next book in the series is coming out in May! I knew I wanted to re-read the series before starting the new volume, but honestly it was while I was in a petulant fit over Cold Mountain (and that poor bear) that I grabbed this and began reading. I've been in somewhat of a slump this winter, and haven't even been able to read. I could blame my stubbornness in trying to finish Cold Mountain before I read anything else; I could blame Cold Mountain for making me feel so hopeless and apathetic; I could really just blame Cold Mountain. But as soon as I began Green Rider and re-encountered the old friends there, it's like everything was okay again (ha, which will NOT be the case as the series progresses. Nothing is okay, not really, but I'm sort of a masochist...)

0 comments:
Post a Comment