Book Review: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Sabriel is the first book in Garth Nix's "Abhorsen Trilogy". It's one of those books I had always glanced at while trying to find what I was looking for in the fantasy or young adult sections because it had such an interesting title; but for whatever reason, I never picked it up. When my friend Katie started reading it and recommended it, I was quick to agree and soon after found that many of my friends had already read it (one even admitting she had debated whether or not to recommend it to me, as it seemed like a book I would like but it would perhaps give too much fuel to my already vivid nightmares).However, I was not dissuaded and soon enthusiastically dove into the river of the Dead, following the necromancer Sabriel on her journey (which I will not be spoiling ;3 )
I really liked the book Sabriel for a few different reasons:
First, I had never read a book specifically about a necromancer before, and so I appreciated the different light they were shed in and their ability to quiet the Dead as apposed to the usual power-hungry sorts simply seeking cheap guards or servants.
Secondly, the style of the writing was very effective. It seems I've read too many poorly emotive first person narratives that become dull part-way through, or omnisciently narrated fantasy novels that use too modern of a vernacular. Sabriel had omniscient narration that seemed to fluidly shift in and out of a particular character's mind at any given time, and also kept consistent the speech and thought patterns of the characters and the general narration.
Furthermore, the relationships between the characters and how they viewed themselves did not seem forced, or haphazardly constructed. Evidence of their circumstances and upbringing made their personalities ring true (and they never broke down into a whining wreck because "things in the real world were so much harder/scarier/tiring/etc."; which is always appreciated. I understand those characters are usually supposed to be empathized with, but I usually just lose respect for them...)
Overall it was exciting to read and had one of the most fast-paced last 1/3 of a book I have ever read ^^;; I'm excited to pick up the second in the series, Lirael, and see how the Kingdom has fared since Sabriel left off~

1 comments:
Aha I love how you broke this down. It's all so true though. I don't know if it's just Nix's way of doing things, as I've never read any of his other books outside of the Abhorsen Trilogy, but everything about those books is so.. different, in such a good way. Completely refreshing.
Post a Comment