I wasn't expecting to read as much as I did in winter, to be honest. Since my time left in Japan is winding down, I tried to spend more time with friends. But even when Jenny visited, we ended up re-reading Poison Study out loud to each other (which I didn't add to this list), and Natalie and I have been reading multiple novel length fanfictions together over the past couple months. It was like when I visited Kathryn over winter break and we "introverted together" and spent the whole day reading, I just like sharing stories with my friends~ There was also Sports' Day at school, which left me a lot of time where I had fewer classes and could catch up on the Mistborn novels.
(It's also a bit interesting to me that since the calendar start to this year, fifteen out of the sixteen books I've read have been by the same three authors: Jude Watson, Juliet Marillier, and Brandon Sanderson.)
24 Total: 22 New Books 2 Re-reads
READ:
Cast in Shadow
Cast in Courtlight
The Book of Enchantments
Raven Flight
___________________(Autumn)___________________
Cast in Honor
Bitterblue
Shadow and Bone
The Way of the Apprentice
The Trail of the Jedi
The Dangerous Games
The Way of Kings
The Master of Disguise
School of Fear
The Shadow Trap
The Moment of Truth
___________________(Winter)___________________
The Caller
The Changing of the Guard
The False Peace
The Final Showdown
Siege and Storm
Shadows of Self
Dreamer's Pool
Bands of Mourning
Tower of Thorns
Mistborn: Secret History
READING:The Changing of the Guard
The False Peace
The Final Showdown
Siege and Storm
Shadows of Self
Dreamer's Pool
Bands of Mourning
Tower of Thorns
Mistborn: Secret History
Trigger Warning
Uprooted
PLANNING TO READ:
Ruin and Rising
Words of Radiance
(someday...)
The Caller (Shadowfell, Book 3)
Even though it was my mom's birthday at the end of February, she spoils me and knew I only had one book left in this series (and I think she wants me to hurry and move on to Blackthorn & Grim).
This book starts off reminding us just how heavy Flint's heart is, and how weary he is having to live a double life. He's reaching his breaking point, even with the date of the Rebels' revelation ever approaching, and it seems like each order he must follow compounds that weight tenfold.
Neryn is able to continue with her training as a Caller to a point, but is then forced to decide whether to continue with the original plan and her part in it or to respond to the devastating new developments she observes along the way.
And while everyone is forced to balance the desire to protect those they love with the importance of The Cause and their country's future, my heart is among the casualties. I truly love and appreciate Juliet Marillier's ability to weave such intricate and strong stories. Maybe I'm biased, but I believe I have read series that didn't display half of the passion and humanity and goodness as one of the books in this series did. What's left unsaid becomes just as precious as the few words allowed to be spoken, and all the more so for their need of secrecy. This series has really settled itself in my heart.
The Changing of the Guard (Jedi Quest, Book 8)
Obi-Wan, Anakin, Siri, and Ferus pose as an escaped thieving gang to enter the planet where the bad doctor is currently seeking asylum. Even though Anakin feels the trust between himself and his Master is stronger than ever, he's still nervous and anxious to meet the doctor who has too much interest in the Force and the Jedi. They are wrapped into a plot to overthrow the dictator, but the revolution soon turns bloody and they're forced to call for more Jedi reinforcement. Just as the doctor and leader are about to get away (potentially to rendezvous with a notorious criminal that Obi-Wan and Anakin have been chasing across the galaxy) they fix a tracking device to their ship.
It was interesting to get a little more characterization out of Ferus this time, in that he does wish he had more friends and that he realizes Anakin doesn't like him pointing out the flaws he sees, but that he sees it as his duty to help the Chosen One. Obi-Wan's friendship with Siri and their teasing back and forth was also a lot of fun to read in this installment.
The False Peace (Jedi Quest, Book 9)
It's only been a day since the events in the previous book, and the good humor Ferus and Anakin were able to achieve then still carries over through light teasing. Tensions are high, and after nearly being crushed in an imploding underground factory, Obi-Wan struggles with containing his frustration at being called back to over-see Senate proceedings. An Anti-Jedi block has emerged, and the race is on to find the evidence that they are linked to the criminal bent on the Jedi's destruction they've been chasing leads back to all along. Obi-Wan is tested in his ability to accept things and let them go, and finds himself struggling more and more with his frustration. Anakin yet again demonstrates remarkable ability after defying a direct order. While the immediate danger is for the most part averted, the losses and the lack of openness that begins to grow again between him and his apprentice leave Obi-Wan struggling to reconcile how he feels with how he knows he must act. They are both eager to leave the planet that always seems to drive a wedge in their calm and get back to their over-all mission.
The Final Showdown (Jedi Quest, Book 10)
Sad. Oh so very sad. Naturally, as the last installment to the series taking place between the first and second episodes of the films, Anakin is becoming more and more volatile. Their mission takes them to the abandoned Sith planet, and the dark side of the Force is quick to warp their minds and attitudes. Anakin seems especially affected and grows even more jealous and resentful of Ferus, causing him to ignore his friend, Tru, when he goes to Ferus for help on his lightsaber instead of Anakin. When a chain of events ends in disaster, Ferus and Tru sever ties with Anakin, and he's left in his own storm.
(I can't talk about this without giving everything away, but it was very sad to see unfold...)
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, Book 2)
I was a bit worried that this book was going to fall into the trap of having an insecure (and pretty whiny) heroine with fated powers and guys chasing after her that she can't choose between. Turns out that worry was justified.
I did find solace in the pirates and seafaring adventuring in the beginning of the book, as well and the addition of Nikolai's smart mouth and the "does it look like I care" attitudes of him and his twin guards. But even with their interjections, it still felt like a struggle to force myself through Alina and Mal's pained dialogue and interactions.
Without being diplomatic, reading this kind of sucked. They turned The Darkling too dark for me to actually want to sympathize with. They took all of the cavalier goodness out of Mal and turned him into a drinking jealous lover (and even have Nikolai call him out on the fact). Alina apparently is being seduced by her power and yet is still thinking of herself as inferior. And Nikolai is great, but he's too good for any of them...
(Especially after reading The Caller, the revolution and uniting of different armies and the powerful female weapon to lead them all-- it can't measure up. Hopefully this was just a Sophomore Slump in the series and the final book in the trilogy will redeem them...)
Shadows of Self (Wax and Wayne, Book 2)
It had been a while since I read the first book in this series, so there were a few details I had to try and re-acquaint myself with as I went along. Honestly though, I feel like I fell right back into the story. Wax and Wayne (and to an extent, Marasi) have such uniquely displayed personalities and humanizing quirks that their drive and and actions seem to freely take on a life of their own. I especially love Wayne's penchant for "trading" things and literally being a man of many hats. Marasi seems to have grown up a little and doesn't so much hero worship the two as she gets exasperated (as if herding cats; cats that leave disaster and bullet holes and "borrowed" possessions in their wake).
This book tied in to the original Mistborn trilogy a lot. Where as the first one had to establish the characters and build the world that had changed so drastically, this one could hearken back to the ties that fundamentally linked this world to the one that was re-made. I also feel as if this book is secretly quite the linchpin, as a mysterious new metal has appeared from potentially another world.
But also: poor Wax. He's been through so much already and just keeps being used in all of these grand schemes... His climbing up through the former Pits of Hathsin seems to have been a very clear parallel to Kelsier and the need to find the strength to survive...
The Dreamer's Pool (Blackthorn & Grim, Book 1)
(Although I wanted to read this of my own volition, it was definitely moved up the queue by the promptings of both my mother and Katie.)
How is it that within the first pages I'm drawn into Juliet Marillier's stories so unreservedly? How can she endear the characters to me so quickly, so fiercely? It seems like from the first mentions of Blackthorn and Grim in their dank prison cells I was so fully invested in their well-being (a rather miscalculated decision given that Blackthorn was slated for execution). As the story was woven, the difference in tone through the various perspectives revealed further depth and could only pull me in, wanting to know more about their buried pasts. Her characters explore human nature and the possibilities of sorrow as well as what we can find comfort in.
I really appreciate the supportive (and at times begrudged) friendship between Blackthorn and Grim, and how they have a deeper understanding of each other than they'd willing allow from others. The dreamy personalities of Prince Oran and Lady Flidais, as well as the Prince's sensible companion Donagan, created an interesting balance to the story and grounded it as an Old Tale. I look forward to where this story will continue to lead, and how Blackthorn will manage the rest of her seven years of service.
Bands of Mourning (Wax and Wayne, Book 3)
Wow. That escalated quickly. That was such a well structured and written book. I don't know why I should be so surprised since this is the seventh book I've read by Sanderson, but his ability to have so many full and vibrant characters making decisions and acting independently is truly inspiring. Even with the heaviness of the events the characters are tackling, I've appreciated how this series has striven to maintain an up-beat tone. Whether it's Wayne's penchant for "trading" things, MeLaan's seemingly purposeful misunderstanding of propriety, Steris's over-preparedness and unflappability, or even Marasi and Wax's banter about his tendency to leave destruction in his wake: the collective chaos they incur forms its own cohesive narrative. It's also been absolutely delightful to see how much fun Sanderson must have had when writing this, and using the different Western tropes in such satisfying ways (I will never complain about Allomantic train heists or high stakes moments with a pistol aimed and someone asking, "Give me an excuse"...).
This book raised many questions. There were several deeper connections made to the original trilogy, as well as the world of Scadrial and the Cosmere in general. Though this series might have started off as a side project from the original plan of a "trilogy of trilogies" in the Mistborn world, each book has successively tied in stronger than the previous. The fourth and final book of the Wax and Wayne series won't be out (won't be written) until after the third Stormlight novel is finished, so it seems I'll have to try and be patient (if only I could use Marasi's Sliding ability to make the time go faster...)
Tower of Thorns (Blackthorn & Grim, Book 2)
It's going to be maddening waiting for the the next book in this series to come out in late autumn.
Juliet Marillier is such a masterful storyteller. While the reader knows from the very beginning that all is not as it seems concerning the distraught Lady Geileis's tale of woe at Prince Oran's court, the little information we're given as the story progresses is enough to stay guessing until the very end and revelation. Even with adding Lady Geileis as a narrative perspective to the usual perspectives of Blackthorn and Grim, she guards the truth so fiercely that nothing is accidentally slipped before its proper time.
I was wary of the appearance of a friend from Blackthorn's past, but also curious for the dynamic shift it would cause Blackthorn and Grim to consider. The close proximity to the Brothers at St. Orcan's monastery also served as a catalyst for Grim to confront a bit of his past (with none too few tears on my part).
In the interest of keeping the story a mystery as it is meant to be let me just end with this: for a Wise Woman, Blackthorn can be incredibly dense; and for a "bonehead", Grim seems to perceive and understand things far better than those around him. And I am so taken with the pair of them.
Mistborn: Secret History (Mistborn, Book 3.5)
I don't even think I can talk about this book with out major spoilers. Even the author acknowledged that knowing of its existence could in itself be a sort of spoiler.
This is exactly what a companion novella should be. It doesn't retell the original story from a different point-of-view, it gives an entirely new perspective on the narrative as a whole. It's evident that Brandon Sanderson has a clear view of his universe, the Cosmere. Even in the fleeting mentions there are clues I can't wait to piece together with the lore from the Stormlight Archives. He's going to purposefully create a web of interconnecting narratives and worlds on a scale even larger than the Dark Tower...
Reading this has solidified my impression that I really enjoy Sanderson's decidedly upbeat tone. The amount of sassy comebacks and witty remarks in this small novella made it impossible to keep from grinning and snickering (while trying to remain impassive, since I was reading during down time at school). There were also so many things I wanted to talk about with my friend who was in the middle of the third Mistborn book, but there was no way I could ask my questions without making Natalie suspicious (she's too sleuthy for her own good).

0 comments:
Post a Comment