Hakujya Hime Matsuri (Shikaribetsu-ko)

Sunday, July 6, 2014

(In Which She Learns How To Take Night Photos, But Still Takes Them Poorly)

A long time ago, in the valley of the mountains, lived a village. At that time, there was a famine. Although they struggled to help and feed each other, it soon came that they didn't have anything to eat. The whole town came together prayed for help. Then as if a dream descended, a Princess appeared and told them to follow the guides she would call. After piping her reed flute, two great white snakes appeared and began traveling to the mountain. The villagers followed as they were told, and soon came upon a huge lake teeming with trout (Lake Shikaribetsu). The village settled near the lake and never were hungry again.

(Although I looked, I couldn't find a clear official version of this legend online to link to, so this is the best I can do with the bits I heard in the presentation)
Definitely had a crepe and some french fries~
Junior Snake Performance (by students)
The student version had three Snakes...
Senior Performance (by adults)
The barge carrying the Snakes across the lake
Ainu representatives ready to lead the procession with torches
The Princess calling the Snakes
Only two Snakes for the adults...
It was a very beautiful evening! And then there were performances by the representing Ainu, one of which I joined as it was a group participation dance:

0 comments:

Post a Comment