Summer Book List (take III)

Friday, June 29, 2012


("Summer" having technically started on Friday, May 4th)

READ:

PLANNING TO READ:
More…?

(p.s. I seem to have slowed down this past month...)
(p.p.s I promise that there is actual homework getting done, too...even though my GEO class just ended and I'm going to try and push through the second half of American Gods with in the week.)


(Edit 8/04/12 for book reviews):

"Wildwood Dancing" was another recommended by a friend with keen insight. It's written by the same author of "Daughter of the Forest", one of my favorite books (that Katie also, incidentally, recommended to me~). This book is for a young adults (as apposed to DotF which should be read by a more mature audience) and is set in Romania with five sisters that dance in the Veil of the Faerie once a month on the full moon. Beautifully written and beautifully felt.

"The Titan's Curse" is the 3rd in the original Percy Jackson series. This book started to delve into deeper issues of the imminent prophesy waiting for a child of the "Big Three" and had true emotions from the characters being represented in believable ways not always found in young adult books.

I'll admit, if it wasn't considered a classic and if I hadn't picked it up for under a dollar at a used book sale, I wouldn't be reading "Ender's Game". My cousin is so disappointed in me that "I don't like science fiction" (especially since I cringe at the idea of reading something like "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" that is just disjointed plots and rabbit trails in space). With few exceptions (Doctor Who, Star Wars, Stargate, etc.)  I don't like aliens or space really at all (I CAN NOT STAND the movie "Space Odyssey: 2001"). I lean heavily on the "fantasy" side of the fiction spectrum. With all of that in mind, "Ender's Game" turned out to be rather interesting (...maybe because it made me think of elements from other stories like "Divergent"). I honestly needed to read the author's note, however, to truly grasp the books importance.

1 comments:

ktea said...

So much progress! I like that you put Library Wars on there hahaha

Post a Comment