Summer Book List (take II)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012


("Summer" having technically started on Friday, May 4th)

READ:

PLANNING TO READ:
More…?

(I promise that there is actual homework getting done, too....)


(Edit 8/04/12 for book reviews):

I keep liking the Percy Jackson Stories. The characters (like in "Sea of Monsters") have diverse personality traits, but aren't perfect--as is evident in this tale where they discuss heroes' fatal flaws.

"Hunter's Moon" (rec by Katie) takes place in Ireland and is about Faeries. Two things that are sure-fire ways to get me interested in a story. This one had enough twists but also kept the plot neat, with few (if any) gaps.

Ohh, where would a summer be with out manga. the story in "Library Wars" almost seems like a precursor to "Fahrenheit 451" in that the censorship/destruction of books is enforced by the national government, and only only the local authority of each library branch with their trained fighters stand to protect the public's right to read! (aaaaand of course there's a love interest~) >;3

Wow. "Divergent". So, I kind of want to read it again already! (rec by my sister) It's a dystopian that has been recommended to people who liked "The Hunger Games" books (which I can understand, given that the city is divided into different factions... but then again, so is Hogwarts....hm, for a generation that claims to want to defy labels and categories, we certainly seek the comfort of them often enough...). It really made me think about fear, though, in a way I haven't before (as more of a concept than something to go to lengths to avoid and ignore).

1 comments:

ktea said...

so much progress! this list puts me to shame this summer so far.

Post a Comment