Technology Wa Warui Desu Yo (Technology Is Bad)!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

I'm going to do it. I'm breaking the third-person wall (I can't figure out if it would be considered the fourth or the fifth... dimension are tricky like that...):

So, I'm typing this blog from my Host Parents' house. Which wouldn't be that shocking except that Katie and I tried (well, to be honest, mostly Katie, because I am technologically inept) so hard to get the internet to work using everything our Okaasan would give us; and finally gave it up as a fools errand because through what we could read on her Japanese computer, they used a really secret private network thing that made it nigh unto impossible to allow outside computers to connect to it (a "Virtual Private Network" if I remember correctly).

So today, after rushing back from a fun day in Minami Hikone with Tori, Rory, Jenny, and Katie (buying Yukata for the many festivals re plan to go to and then chowing down on some Baskin Robins Ice Cream; which I've never actually had in the states so I don't know if it's different over here, but it tasted good~) to eat with just Otoosan, Masao-san (technically my Older Host-Brother?) and two of his kids (who are just adorable~), and then feeling awkward just sitting at the table writing in my notebook while everyone else is just sort of lounging around afterwards, I mustered up the courage to have him help me with my computer. He was really nice about it, and even waited patiently for the TEN MINUTES it took for my computer to start up and stop freezing every time I tried to hit the "START" button... And then once the Internet Connection Options were pulled up, he clicked one, typed in the password twice and bam: I was connected to the internet.

I just kind of stared there dumb for a moment, stunned and surprised at how easily it seemed to actually make this machine work, and very jealous that it obeyed his command on the first try. Then I just sat down and thanked him profusely. He said it was nothing and then asked if he could see something about my computer for a second which I couldn't refuse. He pulled up the information on the machine and jokingly laughed that no wonder it was sort of slow considering it's age and it's processing speed (which is so true. Katie can attest to that). He then looked on the bottom and pulled up the identity number or something on his computer to verify that it was in fact as bad as he was thinking ^__^;; (or at least, I think so, since I only sort of understood him...)

But yeah. My poor Computer. You try so very hard and yet seem to try just as hard to fail. And it's not because I abuse you, you were just made that way. Oh well. This just further solidifies a very plain truth about my future: I will not go into any form of Computer Science.

5 comments:

ktea said...

the magic of removing one host child~
I'm so very happy they figured that out for you!
and I hope that you can try on your yukata sooooon

Jenny said...

Oh Ashley don't fret! All will okay, it's not your fault your computer's old, and your ability to bend computers to your will is there believe it or not. You just need to search deep inside of you!

ktea said...

p.s. I enjoy your emergence from behind the third person. Getting internet will do that to a person.

marypastor said...

Mabuchi internet DOES work...imagine that! Congrats on finding the way!

kelskelling said...

Hey love, heard this story from your mom first, actually. Your computer is comparable to my laptop, and I reloaded Windows on it, and let me tell you, it was magical. I'm sort of nervous messing with your computer again, but the offer is there, we can make a day of it or something. <3 Glad you mustered up the courage to ask though. I miss you. <3

Post a Comment